IAPB established the Gender Equity Work Group to provide an important forum for raising awareness, sharing ideas and disseminating evidence on gender equity approaches. You can download the Terms of Reference (ToRs) from the link below.
A ’Closing the Gender Gap’ breakfast was held as part of the IAPB 10th General Assembly in Durban in October 2016. That event demonstrated the enthusiasm for working together to move this agenda forward and fostered the idea of a Work Group. The key take-aways from this breakfast session fell into three broad areas:
- Inequity at the community level: The need to remove economic barriers to accessing eye-health for women; to encourage community behavior change; and to encourage men to bring their wives, mothers and daughters for care.
- Supporting gender equity in the workplace: The need for women (and men) to mentor, coach, support and champion women in the workplace; for speaking panels at IAPB/NGO/government meetings to be gender balanced; and for policies to protect and promote women’s rights in the workplace.
- Individual change towards equity: The need for women to trust in their own abilities and put their views forward; and for men to be trained on gender equity and value women’s input.
The Work Group will:
- Form and foster partnership and collaboration between NGOs who are active around gender equity;
- Monitor key events and policy processes relevant to gender equity;
- Develop an advocacy strategy to influence key stakeholders around gender equity;
- Collate and disseminate knowledge and information and encourage research about gender equity;
- Prepare policy papers, position statements and other external communications around gender equity for the IAPB Board’s consideration;
- Act as a forum for information exchange, learning and debate regarding gender equity;
- Share relevant information and analysis with the wider IAPB membership, other IAPB workgroups, and the IAPB Board;
- Facilitate stakeholders to build evidence for gender equity in eye health.