The International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness cordially invites you to join us in celebrating World Sight Day 2014 (9 October 2014, Mexico City).
In collaboration with the Mexican Society of Ophthalmology, IAPB is pleased to invite key leaders in eye health to celebrate our many successes in blindness prevention and to give voice to our collective commitment to universal eye health at this advocacy event in Mexico City.
The gala event will showcase IAPB’s commitment to ensuring that the WHO Global Action Plan’s objectives are met. With a galaxy of key thinkers and practioners of every aspect of eye health from across the world, the event shall discuss and identify crucial means for GAP implementation. The day programme (access full programme here – Spanish) will feature academic and regional information for all participants.
- Dr Serge Resnikoff (Keynote)
- Mr Bob McMullan, President, IAPB
- Dr Susan Cooper, World Council of Optometry
- Dr Ivo Kocur, WHO
- Dr Juan Carlos Silva, PAHO
- Dr Juan Carlos Aragon, Global Chair, Optometry Giving Sight
- Dr Fernando Barria, Pan American Health Organisation (PAAO)
- Dr Gerhard Albrecht, Director Médico de Bayer México
- Dr Eric Cornut, Novartis
- Dr Francisco Contreras
- Ms Lynne Pezzullo, Lead Partner, Health Economics and Social Policy, Deloitte Access Economics Pty Ltd.
The evening event will be preceded by an academic programme of sessions and courses taking GAP closer to eye care professionals in Mexico.
The event will be hosted at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México’s (UNAM – the largest university in Latin America) Old Medical School building. The ancient building, with its wide arches and spacious atrium, also offers modern conference facilities – a fantastic mix for the event.
- Welcome from the hosts of the evening: Dr Juan Batlle and Dr Benito Celis
- Opening talk by IAPB President, Mr Bob McMullan
- The Global Action Plan by the World Health Organisation, Dr. Ivo Kocur
- Key Note address – The Global Cost of Blindness and Visual Impairment, Dr. Serge Resnikoff
- Address by Minister of Health, Mexico TBC
- Innovation in Eye Health, Gerhard Albrecht, Bayer
- The Cost of Blindness and Visual Impairment in Mexico, Lynne Pezzullo, Deloitte
- The Role of Supranational Societies, Dr. Francisco Contreras
Topic: Implementing the Global Action Plan: Opportunities and Challenges
- International Council of Ophthalmology: Dr. Serge Resnikoff
- World Council of Optometry: Dr Susan Cooper
- Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology: Dr. Fernando Barria
- Pan American Health Organisation: Dr Juan Carlos Silva
- Ministry of Health Mexico: TBC
- World Health Organisation: Dr Ivo Kocur
- Optometry Giving Sight: Dr Juan Carlos Aragon
- Bayer: Dr. Gerhard Albrecht
- Novartis: Dr Eric Cornut
Close and thanks from Dr Juan Batlle and Dr Benito Celis