WSD10 – countdown to VISION 2020
4% of the world’s population is blind or vision impaired
- Imagine if it didn’t have to stay that way – 80% of blindness is avoidable
- Imagine if together we could STOP the agony of trachoma and river blindness
- Imagine if eye exams and glasses could instantly transform the lives of 153 million people
All this is possible. The solutions are known and cost-effective. Can you imagine turning away?
The theme of World Sight Day 2010 (WSD10) was ‘Countdown to 2020’. VISION 2020: The Right to Sight has seen considerable progress in 10 years, but there is a great deal left to do, and only 10 years remaining to do it!
The highlights of WSD10 from IAPB & VISION 2020 will be:
- A new promotional video for VISION 2020: The right to Sight
- An exhibition at World Health Organization headquarters, Geneva
- A gala event for IAPB members, stakeholders, supporters and prospective VISION 2020 supporters – i.e. policy makers and corporate leaders – at the CERN Globe of Science and Innovation
- Celebrity endorsements by such figures as Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, which will be combined with video above and aired as public service announcements on international TV stations
- State of the World’s Sight report on the first 10 years of the VISION 2020 global initiative for the elimination of avoidable blindness and vision impairment