By Rènée du Toit
The eye health component of primary health care
Recommended practises for the integration of eye health
Developing the capacity to provide eye health
Limited evidence of the effective provision of eye health as component of primary health care
Work in progress
Suggestions for further research
1. http://www.iapbafrica.co.za/resource/resourceitem/459/1 An Overview of Primary Eye Care in Sub-Saharan Africa 2006-2012 A retrospective survey of primary eye care activities in Sub- Saharan African countries, and accompanying challenges and recommendations, compiled from the reports from a series of workshops on primary eye care held in East, West, Southern and Central Africa between 2006 and 2012.
2. du Toit R, Faal HB, Etya’ale D, Wiafe B, Mason I, Graham R, Bush S, MathengeW, Courtright P. Evidence for integrating eye health into primary health care in Africa: a health systems strengthening approach. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013 Mar 18;13:
3. Joska JA, Sorsdahl KR. Integrating mental health into general health care: lessons from HIV. Afr J Psychiatry (Johannesbg). 2012 Nov;15(6):420-3.
4. van Ginneken N, Tharyan P, Lewin S, Rao GN, Meera SM, Pian J, Chandrashekar S, Patel V. Non-specialist health worker interventions for the care of mental, neurological and substance-abuse disorders in low- and middle-income countries. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Nov 19;11:CD009149.
5. Valentijn PP, Schepman SM, Opheij W, Bruijnzeels MA. Understanding integrated care: a comprehensive conceptual framework based on the integrative functions of primary care. Int J Integr Care. 2013 Mar 22;13:e010.
6. Courtright P, Murenzi J, Mathenge W, Munana J, Müller A. Reaching rural Africans with eye care services: findings from primary eye care approaches in Rubavu District, Rwanda. Trop Med Int Health. 2010 Jun;15(6):692-6
7. Laviers H, Burhan I, Omar F, Jecha H, Gilbert C. Evaluation of distribution of presbyopic correction through primary healthcare centres in Zanzibar, East Africa. Br J Ophthalmol. 2011 Jun;95(6):783-7.
8. Mafwiri MM, Kisenge R, Gilbert CE. A pilot study to evaluate incorporating eye care for children into reproductive and child health services in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania: a historical comparison study. BMC Nurs. 2014 Jun 2;13:15
9. Courtright P, Seneadza A, Mathenge W, Eliah E, Lewallen S. Primary eye care in sub-Saharan African: do we have the evidence needed to scale up training and service delivery? Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2010 Jul;104(5):361-7.
10. Kalua K, Gichangi M, Barassa E, Eliah E, Lewallen S, Courtright P. Skills of general health workers in primary eye care in Kenya, Malawi and Tanzania. Hum Resour Health. 2014;12 Suppl 1:S2. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-12-S1-S2.
Kishiki E, Hogeweg M, Dieleman M, Lewallen S, Courtright P. Is the existing knowledge and skills of health workers regarding eye care in children sufficient to meet needs? Int Health. 2012 Dec;4(4):303-6
Byamukama E, Courtright P. Knowledge, skills, and productivity in primary eye care among health workers in Tanzania: need for reassessment of expectations? Int Health. 2010 Dec;2(4):247-52. doi:
11. Gibson C, Roche E. A survey of general practitioners’ knowledge and perceived confidence with clinical ophthalmology. Ir Med J. 2014 Jun;107(6):173-5.
van Zyl, LM Primary health eye care knowledge among general practitioners working in the Cape Town metropole. S Afr Fam Pract 2011;53(1):52-55
12. Kiage D, Kherani IN, Gichuhi S, Damji KF, Nyenze M. The Muranga Teleophthalmology Study: Comparison of Virtual (Teleglaucoma) with in-Person Clinical Assessment to Diagnose Glaucoma. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2013 Apr-Jun;20(2):150-7
13. Collings S, Mathieson F, Dowell A, Stanley J, Hatcher S, Goodyear-Smith F, Lane B, Munsterman A. Clinical effectiveness of an ultra-brief intervention for common mental health syndromes in primary care: study protocol for a cluster randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2015 Jun 5;16:260
14. Andriamanjato H, Mathenge W, Kalua K, Courtright P, Lewallen S. Task shifting in primary eye care: how sensitive and specific are common signs and symptoms to predict conditions requiring referral to specialist eye personnel? Hum Resour Health. 2014;12 Suppl 1:S3.
15. Courtright P, Seneadza A, Mathenge W, Eliah E, Lewallen S. Primary eye care in sub-Saharan African: do we have the evidence needed to scale up training and service delivery? Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2010 Jul;104(5):361-7.
Habtamu E, Heggen A, Haddad D, Courtright P. Using a case study approach to document ‘preferred practices’ in mass drug administration for trachoma.Community Eye Health. 2014;27(88):s01-2.
Lawton, R., Taylor, N., Clay-Williams, R., & Braithwaite, J. (2014). Positive deviance: a different approach to achieving patient safety. BMJ Quality & Safety, 23(11), 880–883.
Lorenzo T, van Pletzen E, Booyens M. Determining the competences of community based workers for disability-inclusive development in rural areas of South Africa, Botswana and Malawi. Rural Remote Health. 2015 Apr-Jun;15(2):2919