Lighthouse International is a leading resource worldwide on vision impairment and vision rehabilitation. Through its pioneering work in vision rehabilitation services, education, research, prevention, and advocacy, Lighthouse International enables people of all ages who are blind or partially sighted to lead independent and productive lives. Founded in 1905 and headquartered in New York, Lighthouse International is a not-for-profit organization, and depends on the support and generosity of individuals, foundations and corporations.
- The Lighthouse collaborates with the World Health Organization and the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness to develop strategic plans that address, and prevent, vision impairment.
- Currently, Lighthouse collaborates with partners in India, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Saudi Arabia and Egypt to develop/expand clinical low vision care and vision rehabilitation services in regions lacking sufficient services.
- The Low Vision SuperStoreTM is the world’s largest distributor of professional low vision optical products by leading manufacturers.
- We’re making the Internet accessible to people with vision loss through VisionConnectionSM. This is a one-stop, accessible, interactive global Internet portal (www.visionconnection.org) for people who are partially sighted or blind, the professionals who serve them, the families and friends who support them, and anyone looking for the latest information on vision impairment, its prevention and vision rehabilitation.
- Our Information & Resource Service (I&R), distributes free information on vision loss and vision rehabilitation to thousands of people and steers them to services in their communities. The I&R database, including resources in over 180 countries, is available on VisionConnectionSM, helping people wherever they live.
- The Lighthouse is the only vision rehabilitation agency with a research capability, The Arlene R. Gordon Research Institute, where multidisciplinary investigators conduct vision, psychosocial and evaluation research.
- We share low vision care and vision rehabilitation service models through professional education programs throughout the US and abroad.
- The Lighthouse is the founding member and chair of the National Vision Rehabilitation Cooperative, which advocates for Medicare reimbursement for the services that maintain safety and restore independence for millions of older Americans with impaired vision.
- We established National Vision Rehabilitation Day to raise public awareness of vision impairment and promote the benefits of vision rehabilitation. This annual campaign is now combined with World Sight Day.
- We participate in the National Eye Institute’s “Healthy Vision 2010” prevention initiative to improve the eye health of Americans.
- Regional Programs
- New York Lighthouse Vision Rehabilitation Services is the major provider of comprehensive vision rehabilitation services in the greater New York metropolitan area. Services include early intervention and child development programs, counseling, career services, low vision care, computer instruction, orientation and mobility training, and independent living programs.
- Lighthouse vision rehabilitation models are tested in our Research Institute, refined and shared with professionals for replication globally.
- As a member of the New York State Coalition for Access to Quality Vision Rehabilitation Services, the Lighthouse is active in the Licensing Now! campaign to ensure high standards of education, training and competency for vision rehabilitation professionals.