The World Diabetes Foundation (WDF) was founded by Novo Nordisk A/S in 2002 as an independent and non-profit foundation. Now 15 years later, the WDF is still one of the few funding mechanisms dedicated specifically to preventing and treating diabetes in developing countries.
It is the WDF’s mission to empower governments, civil society and other non-state actors who strive to deliver on global commitments through national and local action. To achieve this, we create partnerships and act as a catalyst to help others do more. We encourage and fund innovative projects and strategies to prevent and treat diabetes and its complications.
For every dollar spent, the Foundation raises approximately 2 dollars in cash or as in-kind donations from other sources.
The WDF mission
- We create partnerships to assist people with diabetes and those at risk, acting as a catalyst to help others do more
- We link people and resources to educate and advocate globally and provide care locally
- Our priority is to support the poorest of the poor
- We aim to empower local communities to achieve sustainable solutions and yield replicable models
- We encourage innovative strategies to prevent diabetes and its consequences