Job Announcement – Program Officer, Latin America and Caribbean– Full time. Seva Foundation, Berkeley, CA.
Did you know that 253 million people live with visual impairment and that 80% of visual impairment could be avoided if diagnosed and treated early?
Seva is a global nonprofit eye care organization that transforms lives and strengthens communities by restoring sight and preventing blindness. We train local eye care providers and develop self-sustaining eye programs around the world. Together we provide critical eye care to underserved communities, especially women, children, and indigenous peoples. Seva has helped more than 4 million blind people regain their sight in more than 20 countries.
Come be a part of our lively program team. The Program Officer, Latin America and Caribbean works within the Program Department. The Program Department is tasked with the implementation of all program efforts, including the quality of program work, identification of new initiatives, day-to-day management of program activities, building and maintaining partnerships, and evidencing our work.
Within the Program Department, the role sits on the program implementation team. The program implementation team oversees operations, partner relations, fund utilization, new initiatives and measurement of impact. A responsive process of planning, implementing, and assessing guides the program implementation work.
The Program Officer plays a vital role within the Program Implementation Team that supervises an expanding portfolio of programs in Latin American and the Caribbean. Seva is currently supporting partners in: Guatemala and Peru, with indirect support to Mexico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and Paraguay. Based in a location to be determined, the Program Officer works under the supervision of the Program Director. The Program Officer is responsible for coordinating and providing support to the implementation of the Global Sight Initiative in LAC. He/she is responsible for preparing donor reports and communication, documenting the learning of GSI in the region, as well as representing Seva at key coordination meetings and sourcing potential collaborations in other complimentary sectors (female empowerment, job creation,
employment, poverty, etc.). The officer will have frequent travel to partner hospitals across the region.
1. Program Development
- Support partners in region to submit proposals and review proposals as needed
- Oversee funding agreements for new projects and send to partners for review and signature
- Support grant prospecting and proposal development for the region, including sourcing potential collaborations in other complimentary sectors
2. Program Implementation
- Monitor progress of program against deliverables
- Strengthen tracking and information management of program progress and achievements across the country programs
- Write, edit, and/or provide substantive feedback on grant reports prior to donor submission and submit reports in a timely manner;
- Maintain the region’s grant filing system at HQ and detailed lists of the region’s active
- grants by country, including reporting deadlines, and alert colleagues as appropriate
- Ensure grant payments are disbursed as outlined in the funding agreements and track spending by partners according to finance reports prepared
- Review the spending for grants pertinent to region on the job report generated by the Finance Director. Flag under/overspending correction. Prepare and submit recodes as needed
- Conduct field visits to partners to understand progress and learnings and to gather feedback on the program and country strategies
- Support partners in their program improvement and growth
- Coordinate and lead regular calls with partners and occasional in-person meetings
- Partner with other regional officers to share best practices across the network
- Actively support learning and ensure that promising practices and lessons learned locally are disseminated globally, and vice versa
- Lead and/or contribute to documentation of key learning and innovative approaches in eye care throughout the region
- Support the organization’s Advocacy efforts, including sharing programmatic highlights and breaking news from partners
- Ensure external communication about region is accurate and relevant
- Represent Seva and participate in representational visits, events and meetings as requested
- Coordinate with other INGOs working in the region, as needed
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven ability to effectively manage relationships
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to effectively liaise with people within and across departments in a multi-cultural environment
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, flexible, good sense of humor
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in culturally diverse environments
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure in fast-paced, multi-task team environment
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Office and familiarity with project management software
- Familiarity with countries in the region
- Fluent in Spanish (spoken and written)
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (public health, business, international development) as well as 3-5 years of progressive work experience
- Ability to travel
The Program Officer should be capable of managing multiple and complex tasks; thrive under pressure, time and complexity; have strong people skills – developing strong team spirit; and be capable of interfacing successfully with internal team members, donors and partners to resolve program issues. S/he should also feel comfortable in a representational role, speaking on eye health issues with internal and external audiences. Candidates should be well organized and self-motivated with demonstrable writing, management, and creative problem solving skills.
- Compassion in Action – We do not observe suffering, we address it.
- Selfless Service – Service is its own reward.
- Respect – We believe in the fundamental dignity and value of every person.
- Equity – We serve the underserved to ensure all people have access to quality care.
- Fun – We never take ourselves too seriously. When you stop laughing, you’ve stopped living.
Applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com with “Program Officer, LAC” in the Subject line. Please include 1) cover letter explaining your strengths, interest in the position, and fit for the role along with 2) your resume and 3) a brief writing sample of original work no more than 1000 words.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with applicant’s experience. Excellent benefits. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview. Seva is an Equal Opportunity Employer.