A new World Health Organization Report, Saving Lives, Spending Less: A Strategic Response to NCDs, has put forward 6 recommendations to combat the global epidemic of non-communicable diseases (NCDs). Convened by Dr Tedros to advise on accelerating progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 3.4 on the prevention and treatment of NCDs, the Commission has stated that governments should:
- Take responsibility for the NCD agenda instead of delegating to ministries of health.
- Implement a specific set of priorities based on public health needs.
- Reorient health systems to include NCDs in UHC policies and plans.
- Increase effective regulation and engage with the private sector, academia, civil society and communities.
- Develop a new economic paradigm to fund actions on NCDs and mental health.
- Strengthen accountability by simplifying existing accountability mechanisms.
“The NCD epidemic has exploded in low- and middle-income countries … We need to move quickly to save lives, prevent needless suffering, and keep fragile health systems from collapsing,” said Commission Co-Chair Sania Nishtar.