Seven new candidates and three incumbents responded to the call for nominations for Regional Chairs across IAPB’s seven regions. In two regions, Africa and Western Pacific, regional elections will be held to choose the preferred candidate among the nominees. In the Eastern Mediterranean, Europe and South East Asia the incumbent chairs stood for another term, and in North and Latin America two new candidates were put forward.
Main representatives of IAPB member organisations based or operating in the two contested regions will receive instructions for the Africa and Western Pacific online ballots in the coming days.
Here is the summary region by region:
- Aaron Thembinkosi Magava – Ophthalmologist, Marondera Provincial Hospital, Zimbabwe (click for profile)
- Lene Overland – CEO Orbis Africa and Director of Programme Europe, Middle East and Africa, Orbis (click for profile)
- Amanda Davis – Chief Operating Officer, Brien Holden Vision Institute (click for profile)
- Mingguang He – Professor of Ophthalmic Epidemiology, Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne (click for profile)
- Wei He – Founder and President, He Eye Care System, He University, He University Eye Hospitals (click for profile)
- HRH Prince Abdulaziz Ahmad Abdulaziz Al Saud – founder and chairman of IMPACT–EMR and the Middle East African Council of Ophthalmology, President of Saudi Ophthalmological Society, incumbent IAPB Regional Chair
- Janos Nemeth – Professor at Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary, incumbent IAPB Regional Chair
- Francisco Martínez Castro – Ophthalmologist, Fundación Hospital Nuestra de la Luz, Mexico City, Mexico
- Suzanne Gilbert – Senior Director, Innovation and Sight Program, Seva Foundation
South East Asia
- Taraprasad Das – Vice Chair, LV Prasad Eye Institute, incumbent IAPB Regional Chair