We are delighted to announce this year’s World Sight Day #EyeCareEveryWhere Photo competition winners and runners-up. As with every year, we have one winner each for the professional and amateur categories, along with five runners-up. Firstly, our massive gratitude to each of you who have taken time out to send us pictures—some of you who have sent us pictures every year. Thank you.
What a year! We have had record submissions this year, over 1400 submissions—the highest ever. Without much ado, the winners:
Winner: Professional Category
Screening for glaucoma—by Terry Cooper
Runners-up: Professional Category
- Optometrist and ophthalmic nurse Khamthan Amath looks for the right prescription for Pa, Lao PDR—by Aildrene Israel Tan
- In Pakistan, a school girl poses to have her photo taken—by Mohammad Omer
- The reflections of the aircraft windows are seen as Doctor Mark Mannis carries out a surgical procedure, Peru—by Leon Neal
- A blind boy does his homework—by Antonio Aragon Renuncio
- A new ray of hope—by Anurag Kumar
Winner: Amateur Category
St John Jerusalem Eye Hospital nurses take extra care of Gazan child—by Marie-Claire Boyle
Runners-up: Amateur Category
- Internal eye check-up–Jose mari vidal s. Valiña
- Happiness with a pair of glasses—by Prem Dixit
- Not a Farmer Excluded—Germaine
- Outreach cataract operation at Sumbawa Island Indonesia–Isna Kusuma Nintyastuti
- A child surprised to see clearly after wearing new glasses–Nguyen Thi Quynh Nhu
Once again, our sincere gratitude for all those who have participated in our competition. As with every year, the objective is not just to talk about the World Sight Day theme (though #EyeCareEveryWhere has been a very popular theme) of the year, or to build a repository of photos for everyone to use (A World Bank report, or this month’s WHO Bulletin which has a photo competition image on it’s cover), it is to help draw attention to our work. The eye health sector does tremendous good in this world, and what better than these wonderful photos to showcase it?
IAPB thanks Bayer for their support in delivering this photo competition.