The 15th annual conference of VISION 2020: The Right to Sight – INDIA ‘Achieving Universal Eye Health for Everyone and Everywhere’ was convened on 8 & 9 June 2019 at Aravind Eye Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. More than 600 delegates from 18 states and 2 union territories across 115 organisations from India attended the conference. True to the spirit of the conference, it fostered learning and networking in an enabling environment.
- The broad aim of this national conference, one of its kinds in community ophthalmology, is to
- Increase the capacity of eye care fraternity towards meeting the goal of reducing visual impairment
- Create networking opportunities and overall atmosphere of upgrading knowledge and technology use
- Share experiences and good practices in the area of eye health for better planning and implementation of eye care services
The two-day programme broadly incorporates the scientific programme, the conference common session, presentation of awards, and trade. It is a place where along with the scientific programme, meetings are held, network established; experiences shared – a place that exudes an atmosphere of bonhomie where work and pleasure share a mixed platform.
This year’s conference featured 20 dynamic sessions with a balanced mix of talks, panel discussions. In a novel approach a large number of topics were based on suggestions from our member organisations. The four parallel tracks of the conference were:
- Advocacy for Eye Health
- Eye Care Delivery to the Unreached
- Quality Assurance for Cataract Surgery
- Skill Enhancement for Optometrists & Ophthalmic Assistants
A record 122 oral presentations and 83 posters were presented.
The conference was inaugurated by the Governor of Tamil Nadu state, His Excellency, Shri Banwarilal Purohit on 8 June, 2019.